WCA – West Chin Architect is an award-winning, published architecture and interior design firm with offices in the Flatiron District of Manhattan, East Hampton, NY and Miami, FL. We are seeking a mid-level architectural designer, with 4-6 years’ experience minimum in high end modern residential, to join our New York City team. The majority of our work is executing high end residential design, from ground up construction to loft renovations to townhouses. As a result of increasing workflow, we are currently seeking a seasoned architect with an interiors background and strong organizational and communication skills.
• Prepare designs to meet the clients’ objectives, project constraints, and execution of the firm’s design vocabulary and philosophy, with limited supervision required.
• Research materials, prepare programming diagrams and design presentations, including mood boards and quick 3D hand sketches as needed to convey the design intent.
• Assist on the development of the whole project keeping in mind WCA’s vocabulary, client goals and senior directives.
• Review documents to ensure they incorporate and accurately reflect the design intent.
• Participate in design coordination within firm i.e. between architecture, decorators and graphics, and between clients, consultants and the firm.
• Liaise with vendors and manufacturers.
• Work as a team to create and deliver presentations and contract documents based on the firm’s standards.
• Produce and deliver quality and timely sets of contract documents, including drawings, specifications, sample boards, and reports as required for each unique project.
• Respond to RFIs and resolve issues and problems that arise during construction.
• Review submittals, shop drawings, substitutions, and field conditions for conformance with the design.
• Attend and report on field visits and conduct punch list reviews.
• 4-6 years min. of post-graduate, full-time experience in all phases of high-end modern residential architecture and design, including schematic design, design development, construction documents, through construction administration; preference will be given to those with New York City experience
• Ability to produce fully detailed and thoroughly coordinated construction documents. Work examples should demonstrate, in addition to technical excellence, strong design sensibility
• Exceptional organizational, communication, coordination, and relationship management skills
• Ability to work with project team and to manage both in-house staff and outside consultants effectively and efficiently
• Ability to maintain primary contact and interface with client as well as with client’s consultants, including engineers, filing expediters, and specialty vendors
• Self-motivated with ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
• Ability to analyze and problem-solve in fast-paced environment
• Understanding of a variety of complex manufacturing and technical design details
• Knowledge of NY building codes and ADA compliance requirements is a must.
• Proficient in the following software: AutoCAD, MS Office, Adobe CS; SketchUp and/or Rhino 3D skills are a plus
This is a full-time, in-person position in New York City with a competitive salary commensurate with a candidate’s experience and qualifications. It is strongly preferred that the applicant be a current resident of the New York area. We are unfortunately not able to consider candidates without authorization to work in the United States. We cannot consider remote arrangements.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter with salary requirements, current resumé, and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org, noting the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Please limit attachments to under 10mb.
WCA is a full-service, high-end architecture, interior design, and decorating firm with locations in New York City, East Hampton, Westport, CT, and Miami. West Chin, the principal architect behind WCA, is known for his distinctly modern commercial and residential work. Selected by New York magazine as one of “The City’s 100 Best Architects and Decorators,” West topped Interior Design magazine’s industry list as “Kitchen & Bath Design Leader,” and was chosen by New York Spaces magazine as one of the “Top 50 Designers You Need to Know in Metro NY Design.”
West Chin founded a design/build firm in 1992, which became the foundation for his architectural practice WCA. He maintains a design philosophy that combines style with functionality, utilizing minimal, clean lines to create fluid, light-filled, spacious environments. His work includes high-end commercial and residential projects garnering press from magazines to design books.
The WCA team is also the creative force behind the curation of the home decor showrooms, West | Out East, which specialize in modern furniture, kitchen & bath, lighting, rugs, closet systems, and accessories. The retail stores also feature WCA’s modern furniture and accessory collection, FTF Design Studio. The collection is an extension of the custom designs that WCA created for its private clients.