Ariel Okin Interiors
Ariel Okin Interiors, a luxury residential interior design firm, seeks an Interior Designer with a minimum of 3-5 years experience at an interior design firm, preferably with experience in ground up construction and renovations, and managing/executing all facets of high-end residential design.
As an Interior Designer, your role is to manage AOI projects from start to finish. As the eyes and ears of the project, you will be reporting directly to Ariel and the Operations Director on all project updates and execution. The ideal candidate will work alongside Ariel - the Principal and Creative Director of the company - and our Operations Director, to assist in the delivery of all phases of our projects from conceptual ideas through to implementation. The chosen candidate will be self-motivated, passionate, a great communicator, and have a desire to grow with the company as a key member of our team. Applicants should also demonstrate a strong balance between design sensitivity and technical knowledge, together with the project organization skills that are necessary to operate in luxury residential.
This role requires attention to detail and excellent communication skills. Interior Designer will clearly coordinate expectations, timelines, budgets, design decisions, vendor communication and all project deliverables.
- Organized, proactive, and detail-oriented
- A strong design aesthetic and ability to work with different design elements reflective of luxury spaces, based on clients’ requirements
- Confident in delegating tasks to team members
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to analyze
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to liaise with clients and vendors efficiently and productively
- Ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively, sharing knowledge with and mentoring team members
– Bachelor’s degree or higher in Interior Design, Interior Architecture or a design-related field.
– 3-5 years of experience at an interior design firm; construction experience required.
– Highly skilled in AutoCAD, Revit, SketchUp
– Ability to create set of construction drawings, specifications and schedule
– Formulate design presentations, preliminary space plans and 2D, 3D design concept studies and sketches
– Create floor plans, elevations, details, reflected ceiling plans, furniture plans, shop drawings, materials and finish schedules. Ability to field measure and document existing building conditions.
– Prepare specifications and schedules with accurate product information for furniture, plumbing, appliances, lighting and finishes.
– Design furniture layouts and select furniture and fabric items for internal and client approval.
– Sourcing of Architectural Materials, Finishes + FF+E
– Construction Administration: Communication and Management of On-site Builders or Trades. Provide diligent site supervision with a focus on design implementation and quality control. Proactively managing client and contractor communication and acting as a liaison between the Design Team and the Operations Team. Extensive construction experience required.
– Preparation of design presentations
– Vendor Communication
– On-site Installation and Site Visits
– Managing project schedules in tandem with Operations Team. Ensuring the accuracy, timely installation and quality of all aspects of a remodel project
– Weekly/bi-weekly update calls. Participating and sometimes leading team meetings.
Please submit a cover letter, portfolio of your work, and a resume.
Ariel Okin is the founder of her eponymous interior design firm, Ariel Okin Interiors, a New-York based, full-service interior design firm specializing in luxury residential, commercial and hospitality projects across the country.
Ariel has designed for celebrities such as Lena Dunham and Sara Foster, as well as the headquarters for brands like Goop, Maisonette and Minnow Swim. Ariel established her firm in 2016, and has since been featured and profiled in Architectural Digest, Elle Decor, House Beautiful, Domino, Vogue, The Wall Street Journal, New York Magazine, and more.
In 2022, Ariel was named to House Beautiful's Next Wave designer list, a grouping of eleven of the most up and coming recognized talents in the interiors industry. In 2023, she was an inaugural member of Architectural Digest's Pro List, and House & Garden's "The List".
Ariel is also a contributing writer to Vogue, Architectural Digest, and Domino, and in 2020 launched her editorial and e-commerce platform, Fenimore Lane, which covers all aspects of the living vertical. Fenimore Lane's most popular feature, the "Talk Shop" Q&A series, has profiled over 200+ creatives in the world of interiors, fashion, the arts, and more. Ariel is relaunching Fenimore Lane in July with a new website, refreshed design and content, and an entirely new e-commerce shop.
Ariel is a mom of two daughters, and recently moved to the suburbs from Manhattan during the pandemic. She lives in Westchester with her husband, daughters and goldendoodle, Charlie.