The Information We Collect
1. Personal Information
When you sign up to become a Member, enter any promotion or sweepstakes, or sign up for our newsletter you will be required to provide us with personal information about yourself (collectively, the “Personal Information”). Such Personal Information for Members may include your name and e-mail address. We do not collect any Personal Information from you when you use the Service unless you provide us with the Personal Information voluntarily.
2. Billing Information
3. Geolocational Information
Certain features and functionalities of the Services are based on a Member’s location. In order to provide these features and functionalities while a Member is using a mobile device, we may, with the Member’s consent, automatically collect geolocational information from that Member’s mobile device or wireless carrier and/or certain third-party service providers. Such information is collectively called the “Geolocational Information.” Collection of such Geolocational Information occurs only when the Services are running on a Member’s mobile device. Members may decline to allow us to collect such Geolocational Information, in which case we will not be able to provide certain features or functionalities to that Member.
4. Other Information
We also collect additional information (collectively, the “Other Information”). Such Other Information may include:
a. From You. Additional information about yourself that you voluntarily provide to us, such as hobbies, personal interests, household income range, number of children, gender, product and service preferences, and other information that does not identify you personally.
b. From Your Activity. Information that we automatically collect when you use the Services, including, without limitation:
• IP addresses, browser type and language, referring and exit pages and URLs, date and time, amount of time spent on particular pages, what sections of the Website you visit, etc.;
• Information about a mobile device, including universally unique ID (“UUID”), Platform type and version (e.g., iOS or Android), carrier and country location, hardware and processor information (storage, chip speed, camera resolution, NFC enabled, and network type (WiFi, 2G, 3G, 4G); and
• Activity and usage information occurring via the Services, including purchase information, tagging data, favorites, survey responses, preferences, session lengths; and similar data.
c. From Cookies. Information that we collect using “cookie” technology. Cookies are small packets of data that a website stores on your computer’s or mobile device’s hard drive so that your computer will “remember” information about your visit. We may use both session cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent cookies (which stay on your computer until you delete them) to help us collect Other Information and to enhance your experience using the Platform. If you do not want us to place a cookie on your hard drive, you may be able to turn that feature off on your computer or mobile device. Please consult your Internet browser’s documentation for information on how to do this and how to delete persistent cookies. However, if you decide not to accept cookies from us, the Platform may not function properly.
d. From Other Sources. Information that we collect or receive from Facebook, Twitter, and/or other third-party social media sites on which you have used the Services.
The Information Collected by or Through Third-Party Advertising Companies
Accessing and Modifying Personal Information and Communication Preferences
If you have registered for the Services, you may access, review, and make changes to your Personal Information and certain Other Information by following the instructions found on the applicable Platform. In addition, you may manage your receipt of marketing and non-transactional communications by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link located on the bottom of any The Business of Home marketing email. Members cannot opt out of receiving transactional e-mails related to their account. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to process such requests in a timely manner. You should be aware, however, that it is not always possible to completely remove or modify information in our subscription databases.
How We Use and Share the Information
We use the Personal Information, the Geolocational Information, and the Other Information to provide and improve the Platform and the Services, process Transactions, solicit your feedback, inform you about our products and services and those of our third-party marketing partners, and administer our rewards and promotional programs. Also, we may share Personal Information, the Geolocational Information, and/or the Other Information as described below.
• In order to provide the Services and administer our rewards and promotional programs, we may share your Personal Information, Geolocational Information, and Other Information with our third-party promotional and marketing partners, including, without limitation, business participating in our various programs.
• We may from time to time share Personal Information and/or Other Information with other companies who may provide you information about the products and services they offer. However, to the extent required by law, you will be given the opportunity to opt-out of such sharing.
• In an ongoing effort to better understand our users and our Platform and Services, we might analyze the Other Information and the Geolocational Information in aggregate form in order to operate, maintain, manage, and improve the Services and/or Platform. This aggregate information does not identify you personally. We may share this aggregate data with our affiliates, agents, and business partners. We may also disclose aggregated user statistics in order to describe our products, Platform, and Services to current and prospective business partners and to other third parties for other lawful purposes.
• We may employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples may include providing marketing assistance, information technology support, and customer service. These other companies will have access to the Personal Information, the Geolocational Information, and the Other Information only as necessary to perform their functions and to the extent permitted by law.
• With your permission, third-party applications or services may access your Personal Information. We use standard OAuth (open authorization) to enable you to give permission to share your Personal Information with other websites and services, such as Facebook and Twitter (e.g., when you agree to a pop-up requesting you to allow another application to access your account information). We also use OAuth to allow us to share information about you that is stored by us without sharing your security credentials.
• We may share some or all of your Personal Information, Geolocational Information, and Other Information with any of our parent companies, subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other companies under common control with us.
• As we develop our businesses, we might sell or buy businesses or assets. In the event of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, sale of assets, dissolution, or similar event, the Personal Information, Geolocational Information, and Other Information may be part of the transferred assets.
• To the extent permitted by law, we may also disclose Personal Information, the Geolocational Information, and the Other Information when required by law, court order, or other government or law enforcement authority or regulatory agency, or whenever we believe that disclosing the such Information is necessary or advisable, for example, to protect the rights, property, or safety of The Business of Home or others.
How We Protect Your Information
We take commercially reasonable steps to protect the Personal Information, the Geolocational Information, and the Other Information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. Please understand, however, that no security system is impenetrable. We cannot guarantee the security of our databases, nor can we guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to and from us over the Internet. In particular, e-mail sent to or from the Platform may not be secure, and you should therefore take special care in deciding what information you send to us via e-mail.
Important Notice to Non-U.S. Residents
Under California Civil Code Section 1798.83, California residents who have an established business relationship with The Business of Home may choose to opt out of our sharing your Personal Information with third parties for direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and (1) you wish to opt out; or (2) you wish to request certain information regarding our disclosure of your Personal Information to third parties for the direct marketing purposes, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at:
The Business of Home
45 West 29th Street, Suite 301
New York, NY 10001
How to Contact Us