Design Success University is gathering information for its annual Interior Design Fee & Salary Survey, which will publish results on January 5, 2012.
"We need all interior design firms to participate in this survey to provide the most accurate information for our colleagues. If you are a supplier, media partner or association, please include a link for the survey in your newsletter, blog or ezines," said Gail Doby, Chief Vision Officer and Co-Founder of Design Success University.
The 2011 Interior Design Fee and Salary Survey results revealed surprising details about the state of the interior design field. (765 US and Canadian interior designers participated):
• 13.3% maintained staff levels during 2009 - 2010
• 7.6% added staff
• 10.3% either started outsourcing, or outsourced more
• 26% of the designers said their business increased from mid 2009 - mid 2010
• 67.8% expected business to increase during the calendar year 2011
• 19.5% of interior designers grossed $200,000 - $2,000,000
• 28.5% offered a flat fee compared to 5.6% in 2009
"I expect bright spots in our survey results this year," said Doby. "Based on informal conversations with many industry leaders and our over 6,250 members, we expect exceptional results from top firms that tightened their belts and aggressively marketed their services. Many interior design firms that were undercapitalized or were run by solopreneurs found market conditions and consumer attitudes to be too challenging and quit the business. That's actually good news for the determined firms that remain."