Have you ever wondered how designers get their books published? What do book publishers require from the authors, and what do you need to obtain a deal? Furthermore, what does it actually cost to publish a book, and what can you expect as a return on your investment? Jill Cohen, whose agency has produced and packaged some of the design world’s bestselling and most beautiful coffee table tomes, will share an insider’s perspective on the ins and outs of the book publishing industry today.
In this class, attendees will learn:
- What materials are needed to create a successful book, including what permissions should be obtained for your photography
- How big your platform needs to be to get a deal
- What the costs involved in developing the book actually are, and an outline of what the publisher pays for versus the author's obligations
- The publishing options within the industry and the role of a book agent and packager
By the end of this class, attendees will have:
- Knowledge of what to expect in a book publishing contract
- Understanding of how authors market their books
- Answers to why some books are huge bestsellers and others flop
This is an online course conducted via Zoom webinar. The evening before the class, you will receive an email with information on how to join.
BOH Insiders get unlimited free LAUNCH classes.
After 30 years of book publishing experience as president and publisher of Condé Nast Books, president of Random House Direct Marketing and publisher of Time Warner Bulfinch Press, Jill Cohen launched her book publishing agency in 2006 to focus on the development of illustrated luxury books. Working directly with authors and brands to convey their message through books and strategic marketing, Cohen now runs the leading agency packaging and developing books in categories including interior design, architecture, entertaining, beauty and lifestyle. Jill Cohen Associates produces bestselling books for publishers including Rizzoli, Abrams, The Monacelli Press, Chronicle, Gibbs Smith, Random House and Simon & Schuster, among others. Their client list reads as a who’s who of design-industry heavy hitters, including Bunny Williams, Carolyne Roehm, Aerin Lauder, Mark D. Sikes, Bobby McAlpine, Cullman & Kravis, Stephen Sills, Gil Schafer, Suzanne Kasler, Carrier and Company, Ike Kligerman Barkley, Nancy Braithwaite, Mary McDonald, Tara Shaw, Brian J. McCarthy, Jamie Drake, Vicente Wolf, Matthew Patrick Smyth, Ray Booth, Windsor Smith, and more.