Gail Doby, interior designer and founder of the Design Success University consultancy, conducted the third-annual survey* surveying approximately 900 interior designers, mostly from the United States, and the results are surprisingly positive.
"Interior designers continue to show their determination to survive," said Doby. "Projects are smaller and consumers are fickle. If consumers can purchase online and steal a designer's ideas, they will. However, few consumers have the ability to create magical interiors that inspire. Designers need more business savvy to succeed in spite of the triple threat of the economy, consumer attitudes and the Internet."
"Knowing how to price your services gives you a competitive edge. By knowing the industry standards, you can validate your pricing structure, which increases your client's trust level and satisfaction thanks to Interior Design Fee & Salary Survey by Design Success University, " said Pamela White, President and CEO, Interior Design Society.
Highlights of the survey:
• 62% said total revenue for 2011 increased or remained the same vs. 2010
• 46.7% said total revenue for 2011 was above $100,000
• 56.4% of firm owners earned less than $45,000
• 88.6% felt prospective clients had somewhat or a great deal of trouble understanding the value of a designer
• 74.1% felt prospective clients had somewhat or a great deal trouble understanding why projects take so long
• 78.9% felt clients prefer fixed fees over hourly billing
• 39.5% charge hourly plus mark-up vs. 36.8% in 2010.
• 42.8% charge less than $100 per hour vs. 51.8% in 2010.
• 59.8% read Architectural Digest; 51.7% read House Beautiful; 50.6% read Interior Design; 49.9% read Elle Décor; and 46.1% read Veranda.
• 30.6% visit TODL – Trade Only Design Library; 24.7% visit Decorati; 24.1% visit Interior Design; 20.5% visit 1st Dibs; and 13.3% visit Design Sponge.
• 53.6% have not completed/pass the National Certification for Interior Design Qualification
The complete 2012 Interior Design Fee & Salary Survey eBook can be downloaded online.
*Copyright © 2011 by Gail Doby, Design Success University, LLC