Crash Course in Creative Law, Part 1: Master the art of creating an airtight contract with clients, vendors, employees/contractors, and with collaborators—including the essential clauses you need to protect yourself when things don’t work out as planned.
There’s a reason you became a designer, and it probably didn’t have anything to do with legalese. You’re an expert in color, fabric, floor plans and furniture schemes, not intellectual property and trademark protection. If you’re already confused, don’t fret. Angie Avard Turner, an actual lawyer for creative business owners who also owned a seven-figure wholesale company and is married to a designer, is here to be your legal sherpa . In this multi-part series, Angie will take you on a deep dive that runs through the most frequent issues designers face, like when you really ought to seek legal advice and how to choose the right attorney. Clients can be difficult enough, and legal troubles shouldn’t slow you down.
In this course, you will learn:
What should go into the following documents:
- Client Agreements
- Work Agreements and Independent Contract Agreements
- Non-Disclosure Agreements, Confidentiality Agreements and Non-Compete Agreements
- Collaboration Agreements
- Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policies
After this class, you will have:
- A process for presenting contract documents to your counterpart (to take away the awkwardness on both sides)
- A working knowledge of the most frequently used agreements in the design industry
- An understanding of what components are necessary—and which sections of each contract are negotiable
This webinar is conducted through AdobeConnect. All you need to join is reliable internet access and computer speakers with good volume. Instructions on how to join will be sent out the night before and morning of the webinar.
Did you know members of BOH Insider get unlimited free LAUNCH classes? Click here to learn more.
BOH Insider members looking to take this class, please email email@example.com to be added to the registration list.