As part of its ongoing efforts to build regional profiles of the design sector, Icograda surveyed European members on the state of design in their country. The results were reported at the Icograda Regional Meeting on June 23 in Madrid, Spain.
State of Design: European Regional Survey 2010 provides comparative insights from a baseline survey conducted in 2008, in the context of the current challenging economic climate and its impact on the design sector.
Eleven members participated in the 2010 survey, representing nine countries within Icograda's European membership. Compared to 2008, the 2010 results offered a more diverse perspective from professional, promotional and educational organisations and included a diverse cross-section of economies.
Highlights from the report include:
• Despite a challenging economy, the status of design is seen as the same or slightly improved from 2008. Improvement is most often attributed to the implementation of government design policy.
• There is a diversity of opinion on the status of design. Professional organisations see the most significant need to elevate the status of design as a profession, while education institutions are more satisfied.
• Creating awareness of the value of design within government and industry, appropriate financial and human resources and increasing membership or organisational visibility are the top strategic priorities of member organisations.
• Although professional organisations see their design management skills as highly developed, the same members would value a mentorship programme to increase organisational capacity.
• Global networking, raising awareness of the value of design and best practice development are the most highly ranked benefits offered by Icograda.
The Asia Pacific region will be the focus of the next survey. Results will be reported at the Regional Meeting during Optimism: Icograda Design Week in Brisbane.
Download State of Design: European Regional Survey 2010.
News categoriesAll News >
The founders of Flaneur are anything but
New IG account @TheOldHouseBeautiful goes viral
Am I too old to start a career as a designer?
WestEdge Design FairPublic Design Show
Twenty First Gallery debuts new Tribeca location with designer Emmanuel BabledExhibition
Dutch Design WeekPublic Design Show
Plant Seven opening during High Point Market
Eddie Ross presents at Wood-Mode during Design Chicago
Circa Lighting hosts Veranda book signing
Meet Sandow's Robot-Powered Designer Tool Ready to Disrupt the Home Industry
How Brad Ford Cultivated a Community of Modern Makers
BDDW’s Tyler Hays is the Uncle of the Maker Movement
Why the Home Industry's Retail Strategy Isn't Working
- In Print
- Tag Sale
Fall Design Week Featuring Gift & HomeAmericasMart Atlanta
Lights.com Home Lighting CollectionLights.com
Pennoyer Newman Modern & Industrial CollectionPennoyer Newman