Attendance at Winter Las Vegas Market, taking place now through February 5, is currently tracking to outpace last year's market.
“Optimism, optimism, optimism. That’s the theme for this Las Vegas Market,” said Robert Maricich, president and CEO of World Market Center Las Vegas. “There has been an uptick in activity and it is reflected in attitudes and order writing here in Las Vegas. This Market aims to be a leader not only in products and sales, but in leading the charge for innovation and creativity. It’s a new world and a new way and we are here to give buyers a look at what’s up next in every realm. The industry has weathered the eye of the storm, and it’s gratifying to see people here motivated and geared up for success after the last two and a half years in a most challenging environment.”
The day began by showcasing the must-haves of Market, courtesy of First Look at Las Vegas Market with HGTV’s Monica Pedersen and home furnishings trend expert Julie Smith Vincenti of Nine Muses Media. They showcased dozens of hot-ticket items to be found in Market showrooms—highlighting up-and-coming trends such as distressed finishes, bold accent colors like turquoise and purple, versatile patterns and attention to surface details.
“We have 157 events throughout the week. It all started with the One Good World ECOngress ... Still to come is the industry’s first sustainability training, The Green Debate Seminar, DESIGNINGreen, Lasting Luxury and those are just a few. These five days are full of panels, seminars and events that will help us understand how to prosper and take better care of our planet,” said Maricich.
“Our goal for attendees this winter is to offer them a Market that’s not only highly efficient, productive and educational, but also fun,” said Maricich. “When people are having fun they are optimistic and ready to buy.”
Some of the other highlights from opening day include:
• Tech-Forward. Attendees had their noses to the iPhone as they took advantage of the new WMCLV app. The free, downloadable application is the first of its kind in the home furnishings industry. It enables attendees to search for products and exhibitors by product category or company name; zoom in on maps of all World Market Center buildings and floors; download information on seminars, showroom events and parties; keep on top of “tweets” related to Market and other social buzz.
• The second installment of National Home Furnishings Month, set for September 2010, drew interest with a prominent location for retailers to activate.
• Expansion. The ever-evolving Market expanded this year to include new high-end categories such as Alfresco Spaces featuring the latest in outdoor and casual furnishings, located in the showcases of Building B, 2nd floor.
• Innovation. By hosting the inaugural INSPIREDESIGN, aimed at the hospitality design industry, at the same time as Market, both events become available to new, complementary demographics. INSPIREDESIGN’s opening day keynote address was delivered by veteran National Geographic photojournalist Dewitt Jones.
• Forward-thinking. The One Good World program highlights nearly 50 exhibitors at World Market Center Las Vegas that have been verified by Sustainable Furnishings Council as eco-friendly.